Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A few things I love (or love to hate) about Londoners...


Oh the oddities of the British schooling system, particularly that of The London School of Economics...
1. Students don’t raise their hands.  They just speak whenever they feel like speaking. In the States you would most likely be nearly shunned for such manner. 
2. Teachers are a bit more relaxed. Doors certainly aren't locked when class begins. In fact, if a student walks in 5 minutes late, it's really not even an issue. It's assumed they got one too many drinks at the pub, or the tube was having delays.
3. At Ole Miss, when teachers asks the class “How is everyone?” it is viewed as a rhetorical question.  Like, I probably would (maybe, if I were feeling up to it) respond with a mumbled/whispered “fine”. But this results in actual conversation between the teacher and class, with responses such as, “I’m good, I’m really tired this morning but I went to Starbucks so I should be back to normal soon” or “ehh, it was a rough night at the pub” or “I’m fine, can’t wait until this lecture is over though”. 
4. THEY DON'T USE TEXTBOOKS. This means I have to spend endless hours searching through the library for obscure journal articles and out-of-date books. Most of which are nearly impossible to get my hands on because that super-intense type A chick has had them since week 2 of classes.
5. Drinking is actually ENCOURAGED. There are 2 pubs, 1 bar, and 1 club on campus. It is completely normal to grab a brewski with your lunch.
6. Most classes are recorded. Yes, that means if I'm feeling really lazy and unable to bear the 30 minute walk, I can pull it up livestream right from my bed. While I have yet to engage in such act, I'm sure once winter hits I will be utilizing this perk.

The 'British' language confusion.
1. Lift = elevator
2. Jacket potato = baked potato 
3. Jumper = sweater 
4. Vest = tank top
5. Braces = suspenders
6. Dressing gown = robe 
7. Polo neck = turtle neck 
8. Swimming costume/cozzy = swimming suit
9. Public school = private school
10. Marking scheme = grade
11. Module = class 
12. Zebra crossing* = cross walk 
13. Lollipop man* = crossing guard 
14. Roadwork = construction
15. Petrol = gas 
16. Chemist = drugstore 
17. Fairycake* = cupcake
18. Chips = french fries
19. Crisps = potato chips
20. Aubergine = eggplant
21. Prawns = shrimp 
22. Eggy bread* = french toast
23. Fingers = slices of toast/bread
24. Runner beans = green beans
25. Water closet/toilet/loo = bathroom
26. Autumn = fall (they really have no idea what 'fall' is)
27. Tramp = hobo

*my personal favorites, I will continue to use this terminology in the States

Also, EVERYONE pronounces McDonalds (MicDonalds) like MACDonalds. Every. single. time. 

British Cuisine. If you can call it that...
1. Mackerel is a mainstay on most menus. If you've every had it... you know just how fishy it is. 
2. They aren't very big on salads.
3. Steak pies are equivalent to a chicken. 
4. STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING!!! No words for the delectable dessert.
5. They eat tomatoes for breakfast. 
6. The average person eats curry at least twice a week.
7. Fish and chips involves a huge piece of fish, about a foot long.

Some food items I have been CRAVING but appear few and far between
1. Bagels
2. Sliced turkey
3. Peanut butter
4. Egg whites 
5. Grilled cheese 
6. A sub sandwich (or poor boy)
7. A panini

* I actually have had quite a few excellent meals, but you definitely pay the price for quality here. 

British Transportation.
1. Despite weekend line closures, the tube is absolutely amazing. It really will get you anywhere. And it's really not as expensive as people say it is. Furthermore, I have never waited more than 5 minutes for it. Even at midnight. 
2. The tube closes at 12:30am... making after-bar transport a wee bit difficult. 
3. Cars DO NOT STOP for pedestrians. The worst offenders are taxi drivers. If the walk signal has just switched off and you're mid-road, you better run to the other side. I have been sideswept more than a few times. 
4.  Bikes are everywhere! I just haven't had the confidence to hit the roads in a 'Boris' bike quite yet. 
5. Finally, but certainly not least, Land Rover Defenders are spotted about through the streets. I am HUGE Land Rover enthusiast and have always been intrigued by the Defender, which has been off the market in the US since 1998 (due to failure to meet safety requirements - which does scare me a little bit). The car just has a regal yet rustic feel to it and I could stare at it for hours on end.

The beauty itself. 


More observations coming soon!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment