Sunday, November 6, 2011

Scotland: Part 2

Our 2nd day in Scotand started off with an early bus ride to Stirling Castle, which is where Mary Queen of Scots grew up and was crowned. 7 Scottish Kings and Queens have been crowned at Stirling Castle. Like many castles, it sits on a hill overlooking the town. It is surrounded by 3 cliffs, making the drive up very twisty and steep. It was just reopened to the public last summer and had a great exhibition! On our descent from the castle, things took a turn. Our bus broke down, leaving us stranded in Stirling for a little over 2 hours. Luckily, Sterling is a working town so we were able to get lunch at a local pub. At the suggestion of the waitress I had steak pie, yum! Since there weren't really any cute shops we took the advice of Big Rich and decided to test out the famous Scottish whisky. That didn't make for too great of a ride to our next stop, a Highland national park. Big Rich decided to alter the itinerary, taking us on a 'wee little hike' down some very steep and slippery stairs to a river and waterfall. While I was very ill-prepared for this detour, I suffered through the wind and rain and made an enjoyable time out of it, despite the fact that my Frye boots were completely drenched, and I fell in a huge pile of mud. It was very refreshing to be out in the open air, instead of being in the city. Due to the days events, we missed the Clansman Center before it closed, which was a bummer. Anyways we settled into our adorable lodge in Fort Augustus and went for a small dinner where I get yet another delicious bowl of tomato soup. The night ended with a bang as we did karaoke!!! Clarification: As I do not know the lyrics to one single song, nor do I have any tune whatsoever, I did not partake in karaoke, I was just there for my own enjoyment!




No comments:

Post a Comment