Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Scotland: Part 1

Scotland - the land of the Scottish (not British!). They HATE the British. In a sense though, aren't they British??? Anyways, my morning started off with an early 5-hour train ride to Edinburgh. Upon arrival we had an ummm interesting walking tour of Edinburgh thanks to our exciting tour guide Richard. We saw Parliament (they've only had their own since about 1998), two castles, the Royal Mile, a realllly old cemetery (I forgot the significance of it) and some other things. I really wanted to buy a few souvenirs, but didn't have time to, so that was a disappointment. A few of us ate dinner at a little old pub on the Royal Mile were I got SCRUMPTIOUS tomato basil soup, salmon, and my favorite dessert - sticky toffee pudding! I was unable to get a glass of wine however because the Scottish have a "binge drinking problem, and we're trying to clamp down on it. The drinking age is probably moving to 21 soon." - That was the words of my lovely waiter, and since I only had my drivers license, not passport, I was unable to relax with a drink. My plans for going on a Whisky tasting later were squashed. Oh well. I then had my first experience staying in a hostel. I just had to keep reminding myself that I went to summer camp and have had much worse sleeping arrangements before. 8 girls, that I barely knew, in a room was not fun. Lets just say I made sure to promptly make a shower schedule, conveniently placing myself in the prime 7:30am slot.  

Look what platform my train departed from! 

 Cute coastal town on the border of England and Scotland, Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Scottish coastline, from the train.

Oldest department store in THE WORLD.


View of University of Edinburgh and Edinburgh Museum. Out of view to the back right lies Edinburgh Castle. 

I was greeted by a bagpiper, just as I had imagined. 

View of the city as we started to ascend to the Old Town.

View down the hill, can see the water way yonder.

Cutest little alley on the way up.

Finally! Edinburgh Castle. Photography wasn't allowed inside and I was unable to take a few illegal shots... but it was marvelous. It dominates the skyline of Edinburgh and sits off on a hill. 

View down from the Castle.

St. Giles Cathedral




Our tour guide Richard, or "Big Rich" as I liked to call him. 

Palace of Holyroodhouse. The Queen's official residence in Scotland. 

Servant quarters on the grounds of the Palace of Holyroodhouse.

Adorable bowling field!


No comments:

Post a Comment